Thursday, December 20, 2012

Oral Bible Day 2

Yesterday, the 7 Gumuz storytellers completed 14 stories in total which was the goal for the first day. Today, 18 stories were completed with most of the storytellers recording 3 stories each. The afternoons get really warm and everyone is feeling rather weary by afternoon. Thankfully as the sun descends, the air cools and energy returns. They need strength and perseverance as the days continue and as the stories get harder.  

I wish that I could send you pictures of the sights that I am seeing. Each morning, the storytellers sit on woven stools under a tree or lie in the grass while they practice their story with a partner. It is beautiful to watch these men and women boldly proclaiming what God has done. These stories are not easy for them to remember but as they practice, the story becomes alive. We believe that God's word does not return empty and so we pray that these stories will spread far and wide.

When I read an email about the Conneticut school shooting, my heart broke and it seemed to consume my spirit. All these hurting families, all these children traumatized by what they have seen. The things that we have seen do not compare to the loss and pain being felt by so many families at this time. We are involved in an exciting week while men, women and children are mourning such great loss.  

I am sure some people are questioning God's love and sovereignty during this time. But I am reminded of His great love for us for His heart too is full of pain. He grieves when evil is so great. If he wasn't so patient, he would have ended this evil a long time ago but he has a plan. I have come to see over and over again that his plan is so much deeper and greater than anything we can even imagine.

We often feel weak as we serve the Gumuz people. We feel weary when we see all the pain around us and in the world. But may we be glad this Christmas for the promised Savior was given and the promised Savior will return and make all things right. Do we know His heart and His story well enough to share it boldly with those who are hurting this Christmas?

No comments:

Post a Comment