Kalia: One sunny afternoon, my mom walked out of our classroom and saw a surprising sight. It was a tortoise crawling at quite a speed. She called us to come and see if it was one of ours. It was! But how did Kufkuf, Joel's tortoise, get out of its enclosure? We went to see and sure enough there was a gap in the fence. Then we saw that Shelly, my tortoise was also missing. We searched and searched. We searched around our house and through the forest but we couldn't find her anywhere. We were really scared that Gumuz children might find her and cook her for supper. They eat tortoise stew. Here is Shelly's adventure from her perspective.
One day, I escaped from our large but boring enclosure. It was exciting! I climbed up a slippery rock and there it was....an opening. It was like Kalia left that for me so I could experience the great outdoors. I slid down the other side and voila! I was out.
I started out right away. First, I discovered the big fig tree. A perfect, juicy fig sat in front of me! I ate until I was full of the delicious fruit. After several days of wandering through the forest, I felt warm hands touching my shell. Up, up, up, I flew! "Oh great." I thought. "Now I am caught." The young Gumuz girl brought me to a different home. I liked my old one better. Then after another day or two, she brought me back to my old home. Kalia handed over a leaf and I was hers again. It was good to be home.
Kalia: I was so happy when Yampu brought Shelly back to me. She is one of our closest Gumuz neighbours. I gave her ten birr (the leaf) as a thank you.
No comments:
Post a Comment