I have birthed 5 children and nursed them all. I was highly
encouraged to begin nursing immediately after birth. I have read and
heard reasons for why this is so valuable: for bonding, for
nutrition, to help with the delivery of the placenta, to slow down
bleeding and to stimulate uterus contraction.
I am well aware that there are many mothers unable to breastfeed for
a variety of reasons and this is not a writing on such a topic.
Because of my limited personal experience is, I am not aware of what
happens when a baby is whisked away. But I suspect within a few
hours, babies are either being fed by tube/IV or syringe.
I was thrilled to hear that my Gumuz friend had birthed twins the
previous evening. I decided to pay a quick visit before starting
school with the children. They were tiny. I suspect 3.5 pounds each
and they were lying on a mat wrapped in a piece of cloth.
I am always amazed at the strength and independence of Gumuz women.
They birth alone and only recently inside their home. Previously,
they headed into the forest to birth in complete privacy. She births
without a sound and cuts the umbilical cord with either a previously
bought blade or the razor sharp edge of a sorghum stalk.
In preparation for birth, Gumuz women search for a special tree and
strips the soft, fibrous bark which will help soak up blood that will
flow over the coming days. The placenta and blood is swept from the
floor with a bunch of green leaves and this is buried in a hole.
After this, it is time to rest. There is apparently no hurry in
putting an infant to the breast.
When I arrived 12 hours after the birth to see these 3.5 pound twins,
I stifled a gasp upon hearing they had not yet nursed. My friend
laughed and said, “They are too tired to nurse. They sucked their
hands all night. The girl slept all night and the boy cried but he
is sleeping now.”
I couldn't help it, I picked up a baby and handed it to the mother.
“Please try nursing the baby. The first milk is good for the
baby.” She laughed and half heartedly allowed the newborn girl to
nurse. After 2 minutes, the infant fell asleep. “See, she is too
tired.” I handed her the newborn boy next but he was obviously now
in deep sleep after a night of fussing.
So instead of pleading and stating all the reasons she must nurse
these babies, I reminded her only of how good the first milk is and
that she shouldn't wait too long. (Whatever too long means in her
culture.)
Another friend entered the room and seemed surprised to see my friend
holding her babies. After all, why weren't they still on the mat on
the floor. I mentioned my concern and she also laughed, “Gumuz
babies don't die if they don't drink milk for 24 hours. They are too
tired to nurse yet. We feed babies who cry loudly and demand to be
fed but the ones that are tired need to sleep first.”
I wondered: Is this what makes Gumuz so strong? Life is not going
to be easy for these little ones and maybe they need to learn to
fight for survival right from the beginning.
I decided it was best not to get emotionally involved in this
situation as it can really wear me down but instead gave it to the
Lord. This was a woman who had come to dozens of Bible and health
teachings and had the knowledge to make good choices. I had to let
it go.
The next morning, I tentatively asked my friend's neighbour (who was
walking past my house) if the babies were nursing yet. “Oh yes.
They are drinking milk well and they cried most of the night. They
are very strong.”
Point in case: they had obviously not been harmed by not nursing for
the first 24 hours. They will have no trouble bonding with their
mother as they will spend most of their time on her back for the next
2 years snuggled in a leather or cloth carrier. (Though I have not
yet observed whether Gumuz women place twins together in the carrier
or find a young girl to help carry one of them.)
I am first an observer, second a teacher and this has helped me
greatly as I have entered into different cultures over the past 18
years. I have no interest in coming in to judge a culture. I may
not agree with all the ways things are done but I have also come to
understand that there are reasons behind what they do. In some
cases, their understanding is based on false information but other
times it is actually based on survival.
I try to ask questions filled with curiousity. For example (Long
ago, I observed that women do all the collection of firewood and I
felt indignant that the men weren't helping their wives with such
heavy work.) It is not that my response was wrong but I also didn't
need to start criticizing. I needed to ask questions in order to
understand.
“Why do women chop all the firewood and carry it home?”
The response given by women: “If the men aren't around and we run
out of firewood we can't prepare any food. We can't depend on our
husbands. They might not cut the right wood. They might not bring
the right amount of wood. They might bring it too late.” These
women want to be in charge of their household. Suddenly it made
perfect sense.
The men's response was this. “Our women are stronger than we are.
Our women don't want us to help. Other men will mock us if we do
women's work.”
Cultures are constantly changing but traditional cultures take longer
to change. Christian Gumuz men are starting to help their wives
(especially after childbirth) and women are starting to accept their
husband's help. But it takes time for these changes to be accepted.
It takes wisdom to understand and embrace a biblical culture that
involves servanthood. For Gumuz, it means being willing to be mocked
until these new ways are accepted.
When someone lives life differently from us, we tend to response with
curiosity, acceptance or criticism. Responding with curiousity
allows me to live in a culture, discover the why behind a practice
and share biblical ideas with an uncritical heart. It doesn't mean
accepting harmful practices but it does mean responding with love.
Criticism does and will enter my heart so I need to constantly bring
these attitudes before the Lord so that I reflect Jesus.
This is just as valuable within our western world context. Every
family group does life differently and we are living in a world that
is rapidly becoming a globalized culture. Especially in urban
locations our work places, schools, churches and neighbourhoods are
becoming a multicultural society.
Will we respond to one another with fear and criticism or with open
hearts, a listening ear and curiosity? When someone new or different
moves into our community, will we graciously accept them despite
their differences. As I live in community with others, I want to
choose curiousity over criticism. I want to understand people's
hearts and meet them in that place. I want people to understand my
heart.
I suspect, it is as we engage with one another with a gracious and
open heart that we can become who God called us to be.....a unified
body of Christ and light in a dark world.


No comments:
Post a Comment