Saturday, January 30, 2016

The discipline of reflection

It's time to renew the discipline of reflection.  For 5 months, I have posted quick updates on fb with the hope that writing something was better than nothing.  It's for the grandparents and friends that desperately want glimpses into our life, I told myself.  I have attempted to weekly send out prayer requests which became like a lifeline during a stream of crises in the lives of those we serve and in our family.  Yet I needed more.  More time.

I mourned the loss of reflection.  Life upon returning to ministry and homeschooling our 5 children in rural Ethiopia became so full (not in the busy North American way) that I could no longer find that quiet place of solitude.

Yet I believe reflection is vital. Without times of reflection, how can we process the joys and sorrows of life.  Without times of reflection, how can we let go of burdens before receiving new ones.  Without times of reflection, how can we intentionally pursue the best in life instead of just taking what comes.

And so I found myself mourning the loss of this time and stumbling under the burdens of ministry and homeschooling.  Just surviving but no longer thriving.  Accountability is absolutely necessary for me to renew the discipline of reflection and so I invite you once again into my life as a missionary in the remote villages of Northwestern Ethiopia.  

I invite you to catch a glimpse of what it is like to live remotely for the sake of the gospel.   I invite you to pray for the gospel to take root and grow among the  Gumuz people for the glory of God.  

No comments:

Post a Comment