There is a verse that our family loves to sing: "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage, do not be afraid or be dismayed. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9
It is hard to be strong and to have courage all the time. It is hard not to be afraid when kids are sick or injured. It is hard not to be dismayed. I seem to sing this song a lot. And guess what? It actually works. It lifts my spirit every time I praise God instead of worry.
It is a battle though because the father of lies seeks to discourage us. So when I feel my courage fail, I know that I need to ask others to join me in praising God and bringing our requests to Him.
Joel has been rather ill the past 48 hours. He made it through his birthday celebrations with just a bad cough. The next day he had a high fever, chills, vomiting, diarrhea, and a really bad headache. These symptoms all point to malaria but since so many other illnesses have similiar symptoms one is always left guessing.
I was fairly sure that his cough had weakened his immune system causing the malaria to resurface (from a past episode). I was also fairly sure that he had bacterial dysentery. As seems to be the norm (even in North America), Joel became ill after normal clinic hours. But, the local pharmacies in this country are the kind where you walk in and just ask for whatever drug you want so we went ahead and treated him with Coartem and Bactrim.
This morning his fever was gone but his diarrhea was bad so Rolf took in a sample to the clinic. They confirmed it was a bacterial infection and he should go on Bactrim! By afternoon, he was much improved though he still spent most of the afternoon in bed and hasn't had much energy.
Just after supper, Sonia decided she needed some extra attention and she fell head first off a chair. It was a direct hit: head to cement floor. Oh, how I despise cement floors. I long for wooden floors especially ones with plush rugs.
As I suspected, Sonia had atleast a mild concussion and began vomiting a few minutes later. Hopefully a tylenol suppository, a good sleep and the Lord's hand will bring a fresh day.
Yes there are many ways that one can become afraid and discouraged and for me, it happens most quickly when my children are injured or ill. I know this is the same for many others. I am so thankful that my Father in heaven is the Great Physician and that He loves my children more than I do. This brings me much encouragement and joy.
It is hard to be strong and to have courage all the time. It is hard not to be afraid when kids are sick or injured. It is hard not to be dismayed. I seem to sing this song a lot. And guess what? It actually works. It lifts my spirit every time I praise God instead of worry.
It is a battle though because the father of lies seeks to discourage us. So when I feel my courage fail, I know that I need to ask others to join me in praising God and bringing our requests to Him.
Joel has been rather ill the past 48 hours. He made it through his birthday celebrations with just a bad cough. The next day he had a high fever, chills, vomiting, diarrhea, and a really bad headache. These symptoms all point to malaria but since so many other illnesses have similiar symptoms one is always left guessing.
I was fairly sure that his cough had weakened his immune system causing the malaria to resurface (from a past episode). I was also fairly sure that he had bacterial dysentery. As seems to be the norm (even in North America), Joel became ill after normal clinic hours. But, the local pharmacies in this country are the kind where you walk in and just ask for whatever drug you want so we went ahead and treated him with Coartem and Bactrim.
This morning his fever was gone but his diarrhea was bad so Rolf took in a sample to the clinic. They confirmed it was a bacterial infection and he should go on Bactrim! By afternoon, he was much improved though he still spent most of the afternoon in bed and hasn't had much energy.
Just after supper, Sonia decided she needed some extra attention and she fell head first off a chair. It was a direct hit: head to cement floor. Oh, how I despise cement floors. I long for wooden floors especially ones with plush rugs.
As I suspected, Sonia had atleast a mild concussion and began vomiting a few minutes later. Hopefully a tylenol suppository, a good sleep and the Lord's hand will bring a fresh day.
Yes there are many ways that one can become afraid and discouraged and for me, it happens most quickly when my children are injured or ill. I know this is the same for many others. I am so thankful that my Father in heaven is the Great Physician and that He loves my children more than I do. This brings me much encouragement and joy.

No comments:
Post a Comment