During our time in Addis, I have discovered that our oldest daughter is probably best described as a shy extrovert. She thoroughly enjoyed our 7 weeks living at the Press compound. I lost count of the number of sleepovers she had and the hours and hours of playing with the other girls who live here. It was a joy to see her overcome her initial shyness and dive into relationships.
For her birthday, she invited the neighbour girls and several girls that are also homeschooled. She was so pleased that everyone could come. She has a great love for horses and so she once again chose a horse theme for her birthday.
As usual, I baked the cake and made the icing and her dad decorated it. Since there are few resources available to assist in decorating a cake, Rolf decided to construct the fence using local breadsticks. They are extremely hard and large but using his handy pocket knife, he managed to cut them to the length and width that he wanted, notches and all. Kalia then placed her horses on the cake which simplified the decorating procedure.
Some of the neighbour girls helped decorate and they drew a picture of Kalia to hang on the wall.
I enjoyed being the behind the scenes mom as all I had to do was facilitate the activities by providing the materials. The girls enjoyed some cardmaking, sidewalk chalk, and pin the tail on the horse and of course some gifts and cake.
We will spend the entire day driving this year on her birthday but it will end with a potluck in Injebara with several missionaries there.
We thank the Lord for our dear daughter who brings much laughter, creativity and joy to our home. I pray that she will grow in her love for the Lord and the people around her and that she will shine brightly wherever she goes.
For her birthday, she invited the neighbour girls and several girls that are also homeschooled. She was so pleased that everyone could come. She has a great love for horses and so she once again chose a horse theme for her birthday.
As usual, I baked the cake and made the icing and her dad decorated it. Since there are few resources available to assist in decorating a cake, Rolf decided to construct the fence using local breadsticks. They are extremely hard and large but using his handy pocket knife, he managed to cut them to the length and width that he wanted, notches and all. Kalia then placed her horses on the cake which simplified the decorating procedure.
Some of the neighbour girls helped decorate and they drew a picture of Kalia to hang on the wall.
I enjoyed being the behind the scenes mom as all I had to do was facilitate the activities by providing the materials. The girls enjoyed some cardmaking, sidewalk chalk, and pin the tail on the horse and of course some gifts and cake.
At the end of the party, I rolled out the dough for one large pizza and each of the girls added the toppings they wanted to their large piece.
Several girls stayed for a sleepover and Kalia's still had lots of energy for the next day. Impressive. We will spend the entire day driving this year on her birthday but it will end with a potluck in Injebara with several missionaries there.
We thank the Lord for our dear daughter who brings much laughter, creativity and joy to our home. I pray that she will grow in her love for the Lord and the people around her and that she will shine brightly wherever she goes.













LOVE seeing your birthday celebration, Kalia! It looks like you had such fun with all those new friends - and your cake looks amazing. You are such a sweet loving granddaughter - grandpa and I love you very much and hope you will have a wonderful year!
ReplyDelete