Thursday, January 24, 2013

10 Stinky feet

We arrived in Addis after 11 hours on a road which involves dust, jarring bumps, twists and turns, avoiding cattle, dogs, vehicles doing ridiculously daring things and most importantly pedestrians.  We saw several accidents as usual and heard of a tragic one afterwards.  Yet the 11 hours in our enclosed landcruiser, did not prepare me for the smells that would hit us in the confines of our 2 adjoined guesthouse rooms.

That is because, at the end of the day, 10 small feet took of 5 pairs of shoes.  These shoes are actually quite remarkable as they withstand the heat and the dirt and the activity of life in Gesses.   Our youngest daughter is newly potty trained but of course accidents still happen from time to time and shoes are a natural place to gather the remnants.  Sand and dirt and urine are pressed into sandals.

Our second youngest daughter has the habit of running in and out of her shoes and so her feet and her shoes generally look and smell the same.

Our middle child told us just before we got into the car at 6:30am that her shoes were not clean as the tortoises pooed in them.  They looked and smelled acceptable at the time and there was no time to clean them.

Our son manages to be covered in dirt from his toes to his knee caps and beyond.  I am never sure quite how he manages it but then I grew up with grass stains.  He spends time with tortoises and puppies and goats, climbing trees and running through the bush. 

Our eldest loves animals unceasingly and so the smells coming from her shoes can best be described as a barn smell minus sweet hay.  The smell of goats and puppies and sunbaked manure are clearly identifiable.

Yet in all the activity, I failed to spend an hour today scrubbing my children's sandals and shoes.  That might have something to do with the fact that there is presently no running water. 

Tomorrow is field day where our downcountry children get to spend an entire day with other downcountry kids and a whole lot of city kids.   As long as they don't take off their shoes, maybe no one will notice.   And maybe a small part of me fears that if the shoes are scrubbed for tomorrow's events, they will no longer be the familiar and comfortable shoes that these 10 feet are used to.

And I love how these 10 little feet explore the world around them with all their hearts, unaware of what is outwardly "acceptable" to others.

My husband's feet though are well kept in socked feet and tough boots but his boots tell his story.


2 comments:

  1. This post made me chuckle...did both Kalia and Joel run their races in bare feet? That's how I loved to run in races:) Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. After our three weeks in Thailand - we had stinky feet from wearing sandals daily as well. I was reminded of the habit/ritual of footwashing at the end of each day as I made use of my flexibility and washed my own feet in the hotel sink. I only realized after that there was a convenient footwashing faucet in the toilet/shower room and I wouldn't have had to stretch as much. Oh wells - C'est la vie!

    ReplyDelete