Sunday, February 10, 2013

A new season: homeschooling to translation work

Yesterday John and Johanna arrived in Gesses, today they observed the Kruse School life and tomorrow they will take on the task of managing our three children in three different grades, a preschooler and a toddler. I realize that this one room school room has become normal and routine but I wonder what it looks like to those coming from a classroom teaching experience. Overwhelming, fun, chaotic, spontaneous, orderly, creative, difficult or fantastic?
For myself, it is a lot of all those things mixed in with the best bonding experience I could ever imagine with my very own children. Although it is unlikely I would have chosen to homeschool in normal circumstances, it has become a time in life that I will treasure forever.
Yet I also treasure the new experiences that both the children and I will have this month. They will have the privilege of having experienced teachers who have come to serve and to love and invest in them. They will bring new and fresh ideas, challenging them in new ways. I am excited for them because I desire for them to have godly role models in their lives. 
In the meantime, I will attempt to invest in language learning, teaching, translation work and song writing. I am not sure my brain has the capacity to actually function at the level I need it to for the next month. It is quite likely that I will be eager to return to my comfortable chaos over analyzing language and grammar. 
But it's only a month and it's only the mornings and so my prayer is that through this time, we will all grow in knowledge and in love. I pray that the children will remember all the teaching I have done on love, joy, peace, patience and self-control and that they will honor each other and their teachers. I pray that the younger ones will become more independent and remember to communicate their bodily needs! I pray that John and Johanna would be filled with energy, joy and patience in a challenging and inconvenient environment. 
PS - I just returned from prayer time and my 6 year old prayed (without any prompting from me). "Help us Jesus to have our best behaviour tomorrow when Mr. and Mrs. Moe teach us." I often say Amen to her prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment