It is Sunday night and our family gathered around the fire outside to share food, conversation and song. I found myself guiding the conversation around the upcoming week of school and how to improve classroom etiquette.
Everyone survived day one - students and teachers - two sibling arguments and one happy 6 year old who finally got unlimited one on one time. Two teachers with 5 kids is a pretty good ratio!
Meanwhile I spent the morning in the translation office and by noon, I was certainly ready for a break. Working in 3 languages has its challenges and one of them is feeling a strange sort of weariness. One of the things we did was put together a song reflecting God passing over the sin of the Israelites through blood sacrifice and God passing over our sin by the blood of Jesus.
Day two went a little smoother, I think. Joel is used to doing his work on the floor, in a tree, and most of all on the window sill. I forgot to mention this to his teacher. I also forgot to mention that when Joel gets restless, I send him for a run around the house (which can be every 20 minutes sometimes). How is a boy supposed to sit still for 1/2 hour after all?
Meanwhile....I went to visit my friend Yagufok at her home, drank a cup of keya at the chief's house, then ate thick porridge with bean stew and hot pepper. Sonia chased baby chicks around, I was able to practice conversational Gumuz and record two songs that Yagufok created for the church.
The rest of my morning was spent in the translation office and I was glad it was already Friday.
Kalia is loving (already) the crafty person that Johanna is and she spent the whole afternoon doing sewing projects! Her dream come true! She is finally getting to learning how to use a sewing machine and spent all day Saturday sewing a pillowcase dress!
We are only a few days into this new experience but I know it will benefit us all in special ways. Of course that doesn't mean it is going to be all that easy.
Each of us is in a place of vulnerability as our weaknesses are exposed to each other. Yet my prayer is that as we willingly humble ourselves, God is glorified.
No comments:
Post a Comment