So we landed and it was morning and I
foolishly thought if we could keep our bodies awake until evening, we
would sleep through the night and wake in the morning. Jetlag should
be a breeze. But it never is and there were no real surprises. It
took 8 days. One day for each hour of time change. Some of the kids
made it through sooner.
But there were blessings in the jetlag
that I hadn't really appreciated in the past. Instead of wishing my
circumstances were different, I chose to embrace the experience.
Middle of the night storytelling and snacks with the little ones and
early morning devotions. Time in the Word in the wee hours of the
night when all were asleep. These were gifts. Brief gifts to be
endured or enjoyed for only a brief time. And THIS made them sweet.
The packing continued. The boxes and
trunks brought from our homeland now had to be reduced by one third.
More hours looking at stuff and wondering why I thought bringing all
this stuff was a good thing. Surely we could live with fewer
possessions. So why then was it so hard to decide what to leave
behind?
I must admit to hitting a point of
despair when my husband graciously informed me that I needed to
reduce the number of trunks from 8 to 6. Really? I can't do it.
Physically I could, emotionally I was finished. Finished looking
through stuff and making decisions about what was most important. I
am not the kind of person that enjoys spending hours in the house. I
enjoy people so it was time to do something else.
Time in the sunshine and time playing
soccer. Fun with chattering children. Chatting with the neighbours.
Smells of cookies baking and pizza making. Okay. I am ready.
And I did it. Everything that I deemed
necessary for the next two months found a place in the landcruiser
and honestly, we could do with less. For two months, we will savor
the treats from home like bacon bits, chocolate chips and taco
seasoning. Children will read books and then read them again. We
will ration the sugar, ground beef, cheese, vegetables and eggs
purchased in Addis. We will share what we have with others and we
will know. We could live with a lot less.

No comments:
Post a Comment