God's mercies are new each morning. I
find particular joy in that statement because I am not a morning
person. I need a lot of extra mercy in the morning especially when I
have to wake up 5 children, see them dressed, fed and ready for a
shuttle at 7:15am. Ever minute counts with international travel and
our shuttle arrived 30 minutes late because it took another group
ahead of us. God's mercies are new every morning.
With the 8 of us and our luggage
loaded, we were on our way. Our shuttle bus driver assured us that 2
hours was plenty of time. But I knew. We needed every minute. And
we had 30 less than we needed.
It took a full hour checking our bags.
It took us another hour to go through security. All our carryons
needed to be checked twice because of a swab that came back positive.
Boarding was in progress. We were cleared and we ran. I laugh now.
Memories. We were making a lot of them. Kids on moving runways.
Kids jumping off and celebrating the success of not falling flat on
their faces. Arriving at the gate and finding we were the second
last to arrive but the plane was still waiting. 15 hours and we
didn't need to run anywhere.
More memories: Kids' movies and odd
food at odd hours. Thunderstorms over Rome. God calming the storm
before we landed. Technical problems in Rome. Sleeping on empty
seats. Receiving kind words by fellow passengers. “Your kids
travelled amazing.” Yeah they really did. They didn't whine or
complain. They didn't argue or scream. Actually we seem to function
best when we are squished into small places like airplanes and
landcruisers.
The roughest flight we have ever been
on. Three children quietly throwing up. No tears. No complaints
because this is what we do. We travel and it isn't usually easy. We
were the very last off a flight that ended up being 17 hours long.
It was morning in Addis Ababa. God's mercies are new every morning
even when we get two mornings in less than 24 hours.
The visa line was long but we were
immediately ushered to the front. We were then ushered to the front
of the customs line and our bags were the first off the plane. Not
one bag was checked. No questions asked. Petros was waiting for us.
Unbelievable. We were last ALL day long and here we were among the
first. By God's grace and grace extended to us from strangers all
along the way. We made it and we celebrated!
I wonder. Did I just get a glimpse of
heaven? Will those whose journey is toughest, also celebrate the
most joyfully? I wanted to shout for everyone to hear. Did you see
what we just did? We are done and we made it! The real journey's
end is going to be so much better.






No comments:
Post a Comment