I was worried. We needed to take a
break from school. I needed a break from school. But for 6 weeks,
we had no plans. No options for swimming lessons, camping, VBS,
summer camp, holidays. I was also worried because 3 of my children
were having birthdays. How was this summer going to go? An added
challenge is that our summer is rainy season.
Should I just start another school
year? I gave our children a choice. We can create, explore, read
and play or we can start school. Increasing screen time was not an
option. They took the challenge and I was pleasantly surprised.
Rope ladders and treehouses were created. A new tortoise cage built.
A chicken coop repaired. Joel learned to use the generator on his
own so he could use power tools.
Badminton became a daily activity
played and introduced to our Gumuz staff. Long distance running
became possible due to the cooler temperatures.
Tubing down a river
formed by heavy rains and collecting tadpoles from streams and
observing new bugs, brought hours of entertainment.
Goats and tortoises, new chickens and
baby chicks to care for and create homes for filled their days. So
after a summer of creating and exploring, we might just be skimming
our science books. And I wonder, can I fill this next school year
with the same excitement that I saw this summer?











No comments:
Post a Comment