Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Woes of Strep Throat

Following my last post on spiritual warfare, it seems rather trivial to write about strep throat but since it consumed 2 weeks of my life, it may be worth something.   I believe that once a person has experienced strep throat, it will never be forgotten.  My 6 yr old son Joel asked me, ``Why does it feel like a fuzzy ball is in the back of my throat?  I can`t even swallow my own spit.``  Well that is because your tonsils are touching each other and your uvela is touching your tongue.  (Seriously, they were that enlarged!)  ``Mom, I am cold.``  Actually, you have a fever.  ``Mom, why is my whole body itchy and red?``  After a quick google search...ahh that is scarlet fever.  Apparently Joel, Nadia and I had all the symptoms of strep throat.  I was flat on my back for 24 hours at which time the antibiotics took great affect and I was able to function once more.

3 days later on a Sunday morning, Ariana came down with the same symptoms (minus the rash) and my kind neighbour brought me in to emergency (since Rolf was taking a course in the city).  By the time we returned home, she was in severe pain.  24 hours later, almost back to normal.

Bringing a 4th child to see the doctor a few days after that, I was certainly sure that we would leave with some antibiotics in hand.  I was not disappointed. 

Apparently breastfeeding babies are not likely to get strep throat but it is still possible especially if they have close contact with an infected person.  Hmmm....the chances are pretty high in this household of baby lovers! 


I should have suspected that Sonia (4 mth) had strep throat when she experienced fever for 3 solid days in a row.  I decided it was teething since her fist was in her mouth constantly and my other children all cut teeth early.  I should have further suspected it when she screamed for 2 hours Saturday night, slept poorly and cried again Sunday morning before leaving for church.  (I thought it was the Mexican beans I had eaten or cold feet regarding her baby dedication that took place that morning).   Thankfully she was actually cheerful and alert for her baby dedication.

But that Sunday evening,  April 10th (one full week after Ariana went on antibiotics) I noticed the unusual and yet now very familiar rash (Scarlet Fever) all over her face and body.

Then I knew. 

When I brought Sonia in to see the doctor, he asked the same questions:  Does she have a cold?  No.  Fever? Yes.  Fussiness?  Yes.  Okay we will take a swab.  And then I added ``Oh by the way, she has a rash. ``

 ``Well no need to do a swab that will likely come back negative anyway.  She needs to go on antibiotics.``  And by now I knew it was because after a week numerous other possible illnesses can arise including rheumatic fever.  24 hours later, Sonia was once again her cheerful self and the rash is gone.


Maybe my experience will help others identify strep throat in their own home someday:) And of course, in my weakness, the Lord was strong and I was blessed by God`s people.

No comments:

Post a Comment