Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Reminders of Rural Ethiopia....a Dead Rat

A few days ago, I was standing at my kitchen sink just before breakfast, when I was startled by a rap at the window.  It was my dear husband.  He motioned for me to remain quiet and then he lifted up a shovel in which lay a very large and very dead rat.  Oh my!  I would have taken a picture but realized that most of you would not have appreciated it....especially those living in my vicinity.

A week or so ago, an old building was destroyed and burned.  That same day, Rolf caught sight of this very large and very alive rat, running along our deck.   He mentioned it and I was not impressed.  In Sherkole, Ethiopia, sighting rats was very common and usually within the walls of our house.   I never fully got used to it but I convinced myself that they were bush creatures not dirty rodents.

Seeing this rat (out of context) brought some anxiety but I trust that I will once again be able to accept these bush creatures and maybe even see good in them.  (After all they are a good source of protein.)   :)

No comments:

Post a Comment