Tuesday night was unusually quiet. We knew everyone was afraid at what might take place. Thankfully the morning dawned without any further tragedies. After Wotak and his wife had both been buried, everyone went home.
The next morning (Wednesday), the mourning began in full force and we could hear the singing, dancing, gunshots (yes....they continued on with their practice!) and drumming. We stayed home and for us it was a quiet day.
Wakay, brother of Wombak and son of Wotak, was involved in the peace talks with the village of Dubi Kitcha. Wotak’s wife was from Dubi Kitcha and so it was decided that Wake would give one of his daughters to the family. If this exchange went smoothly on Thursday, no revenge would take place.
We struggle over some of these cultural practices. A young daughter (I didn’t ask the age because I didn’t want to know) was to be given in order to keep peace, in order to keep any more tragedies from occurring. I haven’t confirmed if it happened but I assume it did since there has been peace.

No comments:
Post a Comment