Wednesday, May 27, 2015

A CHRISTIAN GUMUZ RESPONSE TO MY LOSS

 
                                                 (written beg of May)



Last Sunday morning, more than 20 Gumuz women came to my door after church having heard that my grandma died. A week previously I had been at 2 funerals for young children. As I sat with them and wept, I heard my own words of encouragement repeated back to me. “Do not cry. Remember the hope that we have because of Jesus. We do not need to be afraid of death. Your grandma is in heaven. You will see her again.” 
 Then one by one, starting with an elderly woman named Yake, they pressed money into my hand, embraced me and wept openly for me. It was beautiful and painful, humbling and healing. Yake was heart broken. My grandma was the one who had sent money for milk powder for her orphaned grandson. His life had been saved.
As we cried together and then drank coffee, I boasted of the heritage that I have because my grandparents repented of sin, and followed Christ. These Gumuz first generation Christians have a hard road as they turn from cultural evils. Yet as they do this, the next generation will not have the same struggle. They can make a difference for generations to come just as my grandparents did so long ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment