It has been a treat to be back in Ethiopia where coffee is grown in many people’s backyard. It is freshly roasted with every cup. I was somewhat disappointed to hear that the Gumuz are not coffee drinkers. The reason I was disappointed was really because it is an ideal time for women to gather together (as we do in North America). I am still hoping to find when and if the Gumuz women do meet together to talk or work. (I am sure I will discover that once I have more language abilities).
Our closest Gumuz neighbours live 2 minutes away and they live with several highlanders (Amharic/Oromo speaking Ethiopians). One of the influences of the highlanders in this area is that some Gumuz do drink coffee and my friend Yasheko is one of these ladies.
There is one BIG difference between the way Sudanese drink coffee and the way Gumuz drink coffee. Salt! Yes my friends, I now drink coffee with salt. It is an interesting experience and one I may yet learn to appreciate. The coffee is strong and served in small demitasse cups. Usually it is best to drink atleast 3 cups.

No comments:
Post a Comment