Tuesday, July 26, 2011

1 more sleep....

We are actually leaving.  I don't think that I could ever strike everything on my list of things to do but we are physically able to go.  Boxes are packed (though our carseats are apparently oversize) and our carryons are packed (though they are on the heavy side).

Some packing facts:
50lbs of books fills a small apple box
One box with appropriate dimensions fits 50lbs of clothes and other light items
A suitcase weighs 15lb and a box 4 lbs.  We chose boxes.
We are bringing a minimal number of shoes for 7 people and yet they weigh 30lbs.
Rolf weighs himself, holds a box and then subtracts his weight from that number in order to get the total weight of the box.   After weeding for a couple of hours outside last week, Rolf lost 3lb.  Sweat?  After drinking a large cup of water, he gained 1/2 lb.  After eating supper, he gained 1 lb.   We don't own a scale so it was rather amusing.

Packing has been filled with many emotions.  There have been many moments of frustration as we weigh and reweigh a box so that it is 50lbs and no more.   Sometimes it feels like this is our first move and I am overwhelmed and wonder why international moves even happen.   Jesus got to walk, Paul travelled by boat and we travel by plane....I guess I would take air transportation over sea transportation but walking sure seems simpler. 

It is a hard move.  As we store things in our home here in Canada, we are storing away memories that are dear to us.  I find that I am struggling with that.   As we have packed boxes, I wonder why we choose to live with so many possessions when the people we are serving have so little.  Maybe we should just take our carry ons?   But I press on.  Car seats will be valued when we travel 10 hours from Addis to Gesses.   Homeschool material will be valuable for our children.  Clothing cheaply purchased or freely received here in Canada is easily packed and a challenge to shop for in Ethiopia.   Time and money are valued.   21 boxes in varying sizes will hopefully all travel with us and we pray for gracious ticket agents.  Gracious with our 2 oversized car seat boxes and gracious with our extra baggage since we are not shipping anything ahead.




My heart aches as I leave loved ones and familiar ways.   Change seems to get more difficult over time and I ask for prayer that my heart would be glad.   I want to be strong for my children and strong for the task ahead.   Pray that the Lord would fill me with gladness knowing that He has given us authority and power to reach the Gumuz people with the good news of Jesus.  Pray also that I could open my heart up fully to love the Gumuz people even though when I love deeply, I also ache deeply.

No comments:

Post a Comment