Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Things I will miss....

I follow the blogs of several missionary families who live overseas and I enjoyed reading what they will miss so I thought I would write up a list of things our family will miss in no particular order.

1.  Our neighbours.  I love seeing my children run out the door and play with their neighbours - biking around our crescent, playing soccer in our frontyard, dressing up, playing house, jumping on a trampoline, running through sprinklers, sledding and making forts in the winter, being creative.   Adult conversation and coffee!

2.  Our SS classes.  Rolf enjoyed the men's class and I enjoyed the ladies' class so much.   Praying, sharing, crying, washing each other's feet.  It has been joy to grow together.

3.  The local Co-op.  I know many people drive 45 minutes to shop in the city but I love the Co-op.  Do you know that my groceries were carried out to my car every single time that I bought more than I could carry (and that was MANY times)?  I love small town grocery stores even if milk is expensive.   I walked through the Co-op one last time and said goodbye to the dairy aisle, meat & cheese and the produce.  We will miss apples, New Bothwell cheese, farmer sausage and fresh milk from a jug!

4.  Technology like phones and internet.  We will have email but no internet in Gesses and skyping rarely works in Ethiopia.

5.  Conveniences - my dishwasher, large washing machine, dryer, hot water heater, oven, toaster, coffee maker, microwave......yes we have been spoiled

6.  Disposable diapers.  Yes it is back to cloth.  I have a feeling Nadia will be potty trained in a matter of days. 

7.  Bike rides!

8.  Green lush grass......though our children love the dirt even here in Canada.  I do think they will miss the grass too.

I am sure I could go on.  We will miss things, people and places but they are nothing compared to serving our Lord. 

A classic line Joel said this week when I was lamenting about not fitting something into a box.  "You could always put it into your pocket:)"   We treasure many things in the pocket of our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment