Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Blessing of a birthday

Today I was blessed by my kids and my husband in a special way.   I was woken with happy birthdays and Rolf made French toast for breakfast.  He then made a trip to Yamp with a very sick baby of one of our Gumuz staff. 

The kids and I had a morning of school and I was impressed with the good attitudes.  They told me at lunch that they had tried their hardest.  It showed.

I was asked numerous times during the day about the party: when was it starting again?  Where was it?  Was it time yet?  I answered each time that I actually knew nothing about the party.  They kept forgetting they were talking to the person the party was being thrown for.

I had the house to myself for an hour while they left for Andrea’s house to get ready.  Joel returned at 3:30 to tell me it was time to go but I needed to wait a few minutes.

I arrived at a very quiet house but when I stepped inside I was met with 6 little children and two adults (Mesalech and Andrea) who all shouted surprise!  Very nice.  The house was thoroughly decorated with streamers and signs and balloons. 

We then enjoyed some cake together and the kids played with balloons.

Rolf had planned to cook supper but we found we were completely out of drinking water (which we get from the well).  I told him I would gladly cook supper over carrying water from the well (which is what most women have to do at this hour).   He also tiled the shower walls today as a birthday gift.

And the day ended with a phone call from home and a lovely chat with my parents.  It actually does work to skype to our cell phones if we have network.  The phone rang but wasn’t able to connect due to poor network so I stood under the stars and waited for the phone to ring again, which it did.

I was blessed with some emails from home as well which always cheers the heart.  Thank you ... a birthday well spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment