Saturday, April 7, 2012

Communication Challenges

One of the areas that I struggle with the most living in Gesses is communication with the “outside” world.  There are no radios or televisions here, no internet access and intermittent cell phone coverage.  We do a send and receive for emails via satellite phone two times a day.  For the most part we are content with this.  We don’t place high value in most of these things but we come from a culture that does.    

We know that screen time can be a way to deal with external and internal stresses and it is also a way to deal with boredom.   Even in our context, we have to discern when and how to use our screens.  But for me, it is a way that I can connect your world with our world.  A way that you can quickly pray for our needs and the needs around us.  It is also the main way we receive news from home and around the world.  And hearing news is like water to the soul.  It encourages us to carry on. 

We read William Carey’s biography and even in his time (more than 100 years ago), he was discouraged when he didn’t hear from his friends and churches.  He waited more than 8 months to receive his first letter due to a war (he didn’t know was happening).   

This week the computer that was set up for email died without warning.  It is up and working again but I had to give it to the Lord again. 

I desire contentment even when people or things fail me.  
I desire joy even when the few conveniences we do have are taken away. 
I desire peace when the world around me is in chaos. 
I desire love even when those we love do not return that same love.

Most of all I desire that all who know me, would know Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment