Monday, April 9, 2012

Wedding dance at our front door

This afternoon, we heard the familiar sound of dancing and singing but there was also something different.  It was very close.  I looked out the front door and a small mob of women was making its way to the Williamson’ house where 4 of my children were visiting with Andrea.   In a few minutes, Kalia and Joel came sprinting to the house excitedly telling of the party that was coming our way.

I had been told by Mesalech that the other bride had been exchanged (one was given yesterday) and brought here to Wotak’s village.  One of the cultural things done is that a group of women with the bride in the centre dances from house to house.  A very small amount of money is then given to the women to help with the upcoming wedding.  (Two girls are exchanged and then the families prepare a wedding feast.)

So I was ready and sure enough they came dancing right to our front door.  I was please to recognize many of the women (some of whom have been gone for over a month visiting their relatives in another village).   They women were decked with beads and the bride was easily picked out since she had several dozen beaded necklaces around her neck.  She was also the only one not dancing.

They jumped up and down and were truly joyful.  My prayer was: may each of these women one day dance for the Lord!  How beautiful would that be!  And I believe that it can even happen in their lifetime!

The women finished their song and continued on with sweat pouring down their faces. 

No comments:

Post a Comment