Dr. Bernard had an earlier start this morning as he joined the Yamp nurse and Jake at an outreach village 30 minute drive from Yamp. Meanwhile, Minah and I were able to do a second day of training. The main subject that we discussed was nutrition. Since I was unsure as to what the schedule would look like, I had decided to keep the Thursday women’s bible study. Andrea kindly offered to visit a few nearby villages to call the women while I began teaching with Minah. Rolf brought Demalash from town to translate.
By 9:30am, 20 women had arrived and so I took Demalash with me to translate at the church while Andrea translated for Minah from English to Amharic until Rolf returned from some errands.
Though I had only planned to review the story of Adam and Eve’s sin, it ended up being the main teaching story again. It was new for ½ of the women and review for the other ½. This time, I decided to have the women dramatize the story while I told it (and they had to repeat the words spoken). It was very effective and when I ended the story with God’s love for Adam and Eve, the women said: “We do not know what love is,” They all began to share about their difficult marriages, excessive alcohol used in their homes and their inability to love each other. I began to weep and the Holy Spirit prodded me to speak urgently to them about praying for their husbands and asking the Lord to help them purify their homes of alcohol. They spoke of their false love and their false happiness and I spoke of where true love comes from and how true joy is evident in believers.
I believe that the women were touched by the word of the Lord and my heart broke for them and rejoiced that they had come to hear of God’s gift of love and forgiveness.
From there, I went back into the health training time for another ho . ur and then it was lunch. This time Demis, Demalesh and Wohis joined our team for lunch (since they were all helping with the afternoon clinic). Yet again the Lord strengthened me and I was able to serve gladly despite my own weariness.
Dr. Bernard and Carole and Emmanuel only arrived back at 1:30pm and had to leave with more than 20 people still wanting treatment. Minah and I started the afternoon clinic here in Gesses at 3pm and Dr. Bernard came ½ hour later after a rest. Because of our later start though, we only ended after 6:30pm A spaghetti supper was served with coleslaw and a short time of debriefing. Then it was time for bed.
And I saw the Lord’s hand in our family. Though our children hardly saw me all day, they were joyful and finding things to do without complaining. They were truly part of the team! Rolf and Jim finished the plywood and electrical work. It was another hot and humid day but we were all so tired we slept well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment