Monday, April 23, 2012

Sunday: New Gumuz songs and a day without much rest

We had hoped for a day of rest so that we could enter the new week with renewed energy but it didn’t work out that way.  We have seen time and time again that after a time of spiritual growth, there is a time of discouragement, illness or difficulty.   This morning, the Gumuz translators introduced two new Gumuz songs to the church community.  It was met with many smiles and enthusiasm.  Some of ”my” dear ladies caught on quickly and were trying to teach me as they sung.  We sang each song at least a dozen times!

The kids and I came home and Rolf stayed on for the teaching time with the Gumuz discipleship group.  Rolf returned home early with extreme weariness and Travis was teaching this week.  Rolf managed to get in a ½ hour rest before Mesalech’s sister came weeping to our house.  Yes this is the same sister that we previously asked many of you to pray for in regards to her baby.

She was carrying her daughter so I couldn’t imagine what had happened now.  She was weeping so hard that I couldn’t understand her words so I had to keep telling her to stop crying.  I finally found out that Mesalech had been hit with several stones by Mimi, one of the teacher’s wives.  So I woke Rolf up and we both went down to see what had happened.

This event has confirmed to me that this family is very dramatic.  I did not doubt it must have hurt to be “stoned” but the 2 young Ethiopian girls and Diribe were weeping so hard, I was expecting to see Mesalech dying.  In fact, her pulse was fine and she was able to move her limbs easily.   She did not respond to my talking except with moans and groans (hence a sister who was beside herself with fear).  I could see the stone had hit her on the left side of her back likely bruising or breaking a rib.  It didn’t look damaged though and it seemed to be more like she was dealing with shock than an injury.

We decided not to rush her off to town but rather deal with the issue as best we could.  I was able to calm Diribe down and remind her that as a believer we are not to shout accusations at each other but rather do something much more difficult:  turn the other cheek, forgive and pray for our enemies.   I assured her that it is not easy but it is a command.

Rolf decided along with several others that it was best to deal with this after we found out Mesalech’s physical condition and after everyone had calmed down.  The wife was sent to her mother’s home for a week (she has to walk 15km) and Rolf would take Mesalech to town where she could either stay or go to her mother’s home.

Rolf returned an hour later.  Mesalech got 7 shots (I assume of pain medication though I am not sure why so many).  She looked like her old self so it must have worked really well or else the emotional trauma had worn off.   Since Mesalech’s sister had not packed her bag as I asked (for a week), she returned with Rolf.  It was decided though that she needed to leave for a week as well which she will do tomorrow.

Unfortunately this greatly affects me ... I have two houses that need cleaning and I need to start homeschooling tomorrow but Rolf’s decision was right.  They both needed to face the consequences (even if Mesalech just spoke some harsh words) and we will pray that in a week there will be reconciliation.   We pray that Mesalech and her sister would understand the need to forgive and we pray that Mimi would come to Christ.  She comes to church regularly but there is no outward sign that she is a believer. 

And pray that my energy would not fail me as I face a week of teaching without the extra hands in my home. 

A few hours later:  We decided to watch a video together as a family “Where the Red Fern grows” was selected by the children.  We were nearing the end when there was a knock on the door.  What now?  It was Travis.  They had gone to the well as a family to get drinking water. When they tried starting their pickup truck, it didn’t start. Travis ended up walking to our house (mile uphill in the dark) leaving Andrea and Micah behind. 

We promised our kids we would finish in the morning at breakfast time as it was past bedtime anyways. Rolf drove Travis back, it started with a sparkplug change and that ends a VERY busy week for us all!  Thank you for your sustaining prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment