From there, we headed to my friend Yasheko’s house. She was still hosting relatives from afar who had come for the memorial service of her husband’s father’s death. We were welcomed in and our hands were immediately washed (pretty rare event). Within just a few minutes, we were handed a plate of meat. The chunks of meat were large and had been placed on a bed of coals for a brief time. Yasheko’s son kindly cut the large pieces into more manageable sizes.
But even the dim lighting of the hut could not mask the very red meat set before me. My mind was racing. Would I offend my friend if I turned it down? Yes. Were there pieces that I could consume? Yes. My hesitation was that these pieces are the very pieces I usually avoid....internal organs that are extremely chewy and full of flavours that my palate has not acquired a taste for.
I decided to go slowly and take my queues from Askale. My first piece of intestine was actually pleasantly soft and I chewed it slowly. After all the organ bits were consumed, 8 more raw pieces of meat stared back at me and 4 of them were designated for me. Askale urged me on so I slowly picked up a piece thinking only of the tapeworm that could quickly form in my body. I could just take some drugs to kill off any worms but I try to avoid that if possible.
In the end I couldn’t do it. My dear Sonia was sleeping peacefully on my bosom and so I very naturally was able to find a place for my 4 pieces (to be given as a gift to Kalia’s dog) without anyone noticing.
I think next time I may just ask if they could return the meat to the fire (after it is cut) for a few more minutes. Raw meat is eaten without flinching by most people in this part of the world, but it is one item that I have been able to avoid.

No comments:
Post a Comment