Mesalech is about 20 years old. Oromo is her mother tongue but she speaks Amharic fluently and some English (though she hasn’t tried any yet). She graduated from High School and took 2 years of Accounting. In order to get a job in her field she needed to complete a 3rd year but didn’t get into the program. She may yet get a job using some of her skills but she was unemployed until we hired her as our house worker. In Ethiopia, it is very common to either hire a house worker or have a relative (often a niece or sister) live with you to help with housework and childcare. This is because, house work in this context takes even more time than in North America. It is also a way for many women to get an income and help support their families.
It is a privilege to have Mesalech in our home and our children all love her already. She is a believer and has a servant heart. Her home village is called Addis Alem (New World) and is about 15km away. She is living here in Gesses with Adesay (the Schwenk’s houseworker). They are good friends and live together in the staff housing (where several Ethiopian teachers live that teach in the Gumuz elementary school).
Mesalech works in our home from 8:30-12 and 2-5pm although these hours are flexible. Sometimes she joins us for a meal. Her main jobs include making injera twice a week, hanging and folding laundry, dishes and some childcare. Considering all that she accomplishes in a day, I wonder why I am still busy from morning until night. Life in rural Africa is just a lot of work.
I am thankful that having Mesalech, allows me to get out and learn language, build relationships with Gumuz women, do some healthcare, feed my family, spend time with my children, do some Bible study and help with homeschooling.
My hope is that not only will we benefit by having Mesalech part of our team, but that she will also have the opportunity to grow in her love for the Lord and in her knowledge of Jesus. This week, I began an Amharic Bible study with her called Greater Worth than Jewels. I used it with Abebech and it was a wonderful time to discuss God’s word together and pray together.
It is a privilege to have Mesalech in our home and our children all love her already. She is a believer and has a servant heart. Her home village is called Addis Alem (New World) and is about 15km away. She is living here in Gesses with Adesay (the Schwenk’s houseworker). They are good friends and live together in the staff housing (where several Ethiopian teachers live that teach in the Gumuz elementary school).
Mesalech works in our home from 8:30-12 and 2-5pm although these hours are flexible. Sometimes she joins us for a meal. Her main jobs include making injera twice a week, hanging and folding laundry, dishes and some childcare. Considering all that she accomplishes in a day, I wonder why I am still busy from morning until night. Life in rural Africa is just a lot of work.
I am thankful that having Mesalech, allows me to get out and learn language, build relationships with Gumuz women, do some healthcare, feed my family, spend time with my children, do some Bible study and help with homeschooling.
My hope is that not only will we benefit by having Mesalech part of our team, but that she will also have the opportunity to grow in her love for the Lord and in her knowledge of Jesus. This week, I began an Amharic Bible study with her called Greater Worth than Jewels. I used it with Abebech and it was a wonderful time to discuss God’s word together and pray together.




No comments:
Post a Comment