Thursday, December 22, 2011

Language challenges: Sleeping teacher 2

Incredible.  It made me laugh this time.  My language teacher was absent again this Monday.  Where was he?  Another wedding.  He along with others had brought the girl to her husband’s village on Sunday morning.  The party continued.  Time is of little value in this culture and the Gumuz do not waste time thinking about the future.  He didn’t realize that he would miss work on Monday so he didn’t bother asking for permission to be absent.

After living with Sudanese for 11 years, I understand this concept.  It is kind of hard to identify with since we spend so much time planning or talking about tomorrow, next week, next month or next year.  But I was happy to see that he did come to work on Tuesday even though he didn’t sleep all night (again!)
He made it until 10:30 and then started fading fast.  When his eyes started rolling back, I decided we may as well go and do some games with the kids.  Though I am doing language classes with him, I am also training him to be the trainer for preschool teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment