Each Sunday, there is always an image to take home. The majority of the people that come to church are barefoot and wearing their best (or only) clothing. For children this is often just an adult shirt hanging to their knees. Usually the color of their clothing is brown either because the clothing hasn’t been washed in a long time or because it has been washed so often. Most shirts are ripped at the shoulder or along another seam. Clothing is certainly not a priority. In fact, it is not even a necessity.
This Sunday, the image that is so strongly imprinted in my mind is a 3 year old girl. This little girl came marching into church with a mission. I have mentioned before that we meet in a large circle. Benches line the outside walls of the church so that we all face each other. This little girl marched across the circle and headed to the furthest bench away. It is the bench where the elders and evangelists sit. She climbed up on the bench and sat down.
Her body was dusty and dirty and her hair was tangled. Until this point, I have only seen men, women and children with hair kept about ½ inch in length. She really stood out with her 3 inch long dreds. She kept a serious expression on her face the entire service and remained perfectly quiet. At the end, she marched out again and I assume went home.
I do not know if this was her first church service or who she belonged to but I do know the Lord loves children such as these. She made me smile and I am sure our Father in heaven smiled also. And I will be looking for her next Sunday.

No comments:
Post a Comment