I am using our kids to help teach my language teacher songs and games (only I orally translate them from English to Amharic and then he orally translates them into Gumuz and I write them down). Then I help him teach the Schwenk kids and our kids the Gumuz version. Since they already know the song or game in English, they learn it quickly and are able to show it to Gumuz.
There is no Kindergarten in rural Ethiopia and so children enter the school system at grade 1. Most Gumuz do not have a single pencil or pen in their home and they do not speak the Amharic language. The teachers though all teach in Amharic (and if they know Gumuz, they will try and explain things to the children). This preschool program will also help the children to learn Amharic (with songs and games).
It is a challenge though to find songs and games that have both a teaching purpose and can be adapted into their culture. I don’t want to introduce games that involve lots of running because then we will also have to teach first aid (as the ground is rocky). I can’t introduce games or songs that have complex ideas or Western ideas. It is a challenge but it makes language learning much more interesting and helpful for others.

No comments:
Post a Comment