Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Being flexible in an unpredictable world

Then there was my day.  While Rolf was transporting people to a funeral and hospital, I was attempting to manage over 11 children and 3 adults.  I had agreed to do music class with the kids this morning so that Nicole could do some prep for homeschooling.  She wasn’t able to do it on Saturday due to hearing the news of her grandma’s death.
At 8:10am, my friend Eyans arrived to teach me how to bead, Gumuz style.  We had agreed several days ago that I would come to her house at 1pm.  I don’t have enough language to find out why she changed the time and venue but I invited her in.  She had several children with her and we found places to sit on the back verandah. 
Since I had planned to take the oldest 3 children (Kalia, Joel and Emily) with me to bead, they were happy to be part of the experience now at home.  Several more children joined us and somehow in all the chaos of babies and toddlers and children, we managed to learn how to bead.  At 9:30, two Gumuz men came for our planned 2 hour session of preparing Gumuz materials for teaching in the preschool/adult literacy schools.
Well, I gave them some stools to sit on outside in the shade and materials to check.   I checked on the girls who were beading inside, served water, changed a diaper, did some beading, served tea, helped the guys outside and practiced speaking Gumuz.  At 11:45am, everyone left.  I had to strongly suggest to Eyans that we meet again next week.  I could tell she was keen on finishing the necklace she was doing but that take several more hours. 
I made some lunch, served Wotak (who has now come 3 days in a row) and then lay on the couch for 10 minutes.  It was a crazy day, but I was thankful that the Lord allowed me to be cheerful in the change of plans and make the most of the opportunities that came to my door.
Oh yes, on top of that I treated 3 people for malaria and Ariana has an earache.

No comments:

Post a Comment