Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Goodbye mice & frog. Welcome Snowflake & Ginger

It has been a busy week at our home.  The children have been actively experiencing life “on the farm”.  

A few days ago, someone came to our house needing money to purchase medicine in town.  We appreciated the initiative this man took in regards to his wife and child’s health.  To make a long story short, I bought the goat for about $50 (which is the going price here).  The kids were thrilled with my purchase and are already dreaming of this female goat becoming a mother.  It’s name is Snowflake because it is mostly white.   It will join the Schwenks flock of goats and sheep.

The next day, Kalia found some baby orphan mice.  I hesitate to use the word orphan because I don’t personally count mice as pets.  Those baby mice were loved on for 2 days.  Yes they did live 2 days even though they weren’t allowed in the house for night. 

They died and Rolf found a frog to replace the mice.  Since there was only one, Joel took automatic ownership of this pet and it only lasted a few hours. 

This morning, the children went to feed the goat some bamboo leaves before school.  They returned in dismay as a mother sheep was feet up and eyes open.  It had died leaving a 3 day old baby behind.  It didn’t take much begging before we adopted this orphan lamb.

It is presently being fed milk from an eye dropper and Mesalech has already agreed to take it at night!  I must admit I have a soft heart when it comes to lambs.  They are much quieter, obedient and gentle than goats (which eat everything and climb everywhere).  It was given the name Ginger and is being loved on by all the kids, including Sonia.

I am not sure it will live but in the meantime, it will get a lot of loving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment