Thursday, November 3, 2011

Gumuz Sunday School

The kids are called out for Sunday school/children’s church just before the Bible reading/sermon.  The past 2 Sundays, I have gone to Sunday school as well.  One, because Nadia and Sonia can’t make it through the whole service and two, because I wanted to observe the teachers.

We sat outside the Sunday school class this time because someone forgot the keys.   The Gumuz teacher started the class off with singing, then his cell phone rang and he answered it.   It was one of those moments.  “Are we really living in the bush?  A cell phone in Sunday school.”  He then gave a 5 minute talk on the Bible.  The kids sang 2 more songs and Sunday School was dismissed.  Oh dear.  This is not good.  So the 30 kids all went running back into the church service during the middle of the sermon.

So I have volunteered to do some Sunday school training for the teachers.  I am sure you can guess two valuable hints to offer.  Turn off cell phones and keep Sunday school going until you hear the song sung for offering time.   

Do pray for the Gumuz church.  Many of these children are learning about the way of Jesus but do not have believing parents.  The Gumuz are learning to lead for the first time and it is exciting to see.  They are eager to learn.  This Sunday, the baptized Gumuz will select 2 or 3 elders to lead their church in a more official capacity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment