We realize that life is very unpredictable here in Gesses. There are many factors that play into this. This morning I was meditating on the names we call God. Jehovah Jireh – our provider, Abba Father, Sovereign Lord, Almighty God, Healer. And I praised Him that despite our inability to control situations around us, we know that He is in control. He can do all things. So even though I get frustrated and angry when people are misdiagnosed and “simple” infections turn into deadly ones, I can trust that God has the heavenly perspective. Their salvation is far more important than the number of their years.
It helped me to realize that He can heal though I can’t. He can work even in impossible situations. I just need to trust Him, do my part and leave the rest up to Him.
A few minutes later, there was a knock on our front door. It was Mesalech. She had just received news that her neighbour had died (he was a young man that she grew up with like a brother) and she was devastated. This was one of those situations, I had no control over. He had a small infection that went untreated too long and took over his body. My hope is that through this, he put his trust in the Lord.
So at 8am, Rolf took a vehicle of people to Addis Alem (10 min past Dibate). He also took a couple of sick people to town. Just before leaving Dibate (south of Gesses), Rolf was asked to take a Gumuz lady who was in labor to a town called Pawi (72km away, over an hour north of Gesses). The one ambulance in Dibate that shuttles really sick people to other towns was in Bahir Dar being serviced. Rolf has only ever seen 5 vehicles in Dibate which includes the ambulance and pickup truck belonging to the clinic, a dump truck, a Unicef vehicle and a car.
The male nurse went along as well as 2 Gumuz men. We trust that this woman and her baby will be saved. There is rarely any transport from town to town, so Rolf had a carful on the way home. After driving past Gesses and dropping off the nurse in Dibate, Rolf arrived home at 3pm.
Despite the complete inconvenience of the day, I was glad to see Rolf living out his faith intentionally. He was willing to help, shared His faith with the different occupants of the car, and trusted that God was glorified in this day.
There are many things that “keep” us from doing the “real” things we came to do here in Gesses. But I believe that it is more about walking in step with the Spirit than our plans and programs.

No comments:
Post a Comment