The title makes a good news headline, doesn’t it? I thought you might enjoy hearing why I gave Rolf over a dozen electric shocks today. We have a hand crank electric shock gadget that is recommended for treating poisonous bites including anything from mosquito bites to scorpion and snake bites.
We tried it out several months ago (when we first arrived) on each other. We decided it would be worth using on a deadly bite but not worth treating mosquito bites over. When our children complain about itchy bites from fleas or bedbugs, we always give them the option of the electric shock treatment. They always refuse and put up with itching instead.
Today however, Rolf asked if I could give him the shock treatment. Though he was calm, I thought he must have gotten a scorpion bite. No, he had left his work gloves outside at night and when he put them on this morning, he was immediately stung by a fuzzy poisonous catepillar. His ring finger began swelling immediately and he took off his wedding ring before it was permanently stuck on. The rest of his hand also began swelling in several areas that this creature had touched.
I applied the spoon like metal arm that extends from the gadget. I gave 2 cranks of the handle. I did this in several places on his hand. It is nearly impossible to keep from pulling away when you are receiving shocks. (Note: the faster you crank, the more intense the shock) The instructions say: continue applying shocks until the symptoms disappear.
Rolf was ready to stop after the first couple of shocks since the pain had somewhat subsided. But then we thought....why not apply a couple more and that is all it took. The pain and itching was gone and the swelling reduced shortly after that.
We thank the Lord each night that our children have remained unharmed by all the potential dangers there are. Yesterday the Schwenks had a very large scorpion mother and baby on their back porch just a few feet away from their 1 year old son. We try to be wise in how we live but we are at the mercy of the Lord. And we will certainly try the electric shock treatment again if needed.

No comments:
Post a Comment